In the run up to me hosting two beginner knitting workshops next weekend, I’ve been reflecting on the basic techniques and starting from the very beginning. So I thought I’d share a little round up of great patterns and a few quick knits perfect for knitting newbies, or crafters wanting to push their skills to the next level!
Flax and Twine – Simple knit basket pattern
If you follow me on Instagram you’ll have seen me proudly parading my handmade knitwear for the past month.
Back when I was first learning to knit I was overwhelmed by the number of websites and resources I found when googling the term. Knowing where to start is often the hardest part. I mean, there’s knit and purl…but once you’ve got that down, where do you go from there?!
After starting my ‘Knitwear Faves’ series, I’ve been inspired to branch out into a new series exclusively on my ‘Ravelry Faves’. I thought I’d share my stash of ‘to knit’ projects, because let’s face it, after four years of full-on knitting I’ve developed quite the list – on an epic scale! Each month, I’ll run through a selection of both free and paid for projects I have on my Ravelry ‘Favourites’ page, starting with these five absolute beauties for this installment.
Knitwear for mini humans has a special place in my heart. Baby knits often take no time at all, and always look super cute no matter the pattern!
I’ve been trawling the internet looking for the latest inspiration for my next baby knits – ready for when the next one of my lucky friends has a(nother) baby! A mixture of goodies for both boys and girls, with a bonus toy thrown into the mix – enjoy!
Following on from my previous post on my Top 10 Instagram Accounts to follow, I felt it was only right to dedicate an entire post to my Top 10 knitting Instagram accounts.
My Instagram feed is probably 70% knitting and crafting based, with the other 30% made up of friends, family and any other lovely Instagrammers that catch my eye!
I’ve spoken about the uplifting nature of Instagram previously, and that doesn’t stop here. All of these fantastic knitting Instagrammers make up just a tiny part of the HUGE knitting community that exists on social media. Sharing finished items, works in progress, and even frustrating ‘frogged projects’!!
Here are the knitters that keep me stitching till past 1am on a school night!
There’s more to knitting than garter and stockinette, and although these stitches form the solid foundation of many of my favourite knits, it’s nice every once in a while to break the monotony and explore! So here are a few of my personal favourite stitch patterns and instructions on how to do them.
I have far too much wool!….Hi my name’s Beth and I’m a ‘woolaholic’.
I buy skeins and skeins of the stuff, in all different thicknesses, textures and colours without much regard for what I’ll use it for! It’s these balls of wool that normally get left to the bottom of the pile, gathering dust until one day I’m struck with a little inspiration.
I’ve had this green speckled wool in my possession since I began knitting almost three years ago. It began its life as a massively oversized and badly ‘gauged’ infinity scarf in seed stitch, which I promptly unravelled. I then remade it into a slightly better gauged stockinette infinity scarf, but it still wasn’t the right size! It was like something out of ‘Goldilocks and the Three Bears’….
Then, two months ago I picked up my nemesis green wool and some 12mm needles and just started knitting! You know what they say – third time lucky.